This week at the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA) Expo, the Themed Entertainment Association (TEA) announced that Disney Parks, Experiences and Products will be honored with three prestigious Thea Awards in 2023.
Star Wars: Galactic Star Cruiserwas awarded a Thea Award for Outstanding Achievement.
“Electric parade on the main street,” receives the Thea Classic Award.
Tokyo DisneySea is the recipient of the Liseberg Applause Award, which honors outstanding theme parks worldwide.
“I’m so proud of our teams who continue to delight our guests and consumers by pushing industry boundaries,” said Josh D’Amaro, chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products. “These awards exemplify our legacy of innovation, as evidenced by projects that opened 50 years apart and have been recognized together.”
Susana Tubert, Creative Director of Disney Live Entertainment, receives the Thea Catalyst Award, reserved for an individual who has made a real and positive impact on the culture of our industry.
“I want to thank TEA and IAAPA for these amazing recognitions – and most importantly, for their unwavering commitment to advancing our industry and keeping us connected around the world,” said Barbara Bouza, President of Walt Disney Imagineering. “As our Imagineering and Live Entertainment teams continue to deliver magic and inspire humanity, it’s an honor to be recognized by our colleagues and friends around the world. I also want to give a special shout out to this year’s Thea Catalyst Award recipient, Susana Tubert, who continues to be an influential and inspiring leader.”
In addition, IAAPA announced that Disney Parks, Experiences and Products has received nine Brass Ring Awards for Live Entertainment Excellence, Games and Merchandise Excellence and Food & Beverage Excellence.
For excellence in live entertainment, the following Disney live entertainment projects received the Brass Ring Awards in these categories:
- Best Theatrical Production – “The Story of the Lion King” at Disneyland Resort
- Most Creative Christmas/Holiday Show – Mickey’s Dazzling Christmas Parade at Disneyland Paris
- Most Creative Halloween Haunt, Show or Experience – Let’s Get Wicked at Hong Kong Disneyland
- Most Creative Multimedia Spectacle – “harmonious‘ at EPCOT
- Most creative event on the entire property – Celebration of Disneyland Paris’ 30th Anniversary
“This year’s Brass Ring and Thea Awards truly speak to the power of live entertainment and the consistent quality of work from the team I have the honor to lead,” said David Lightbody, senior vice president, Disney Live Entertainment. “We are honored and grateful to receive these industry recognitions.”
For Games and Merchandise Excellence and Food & Beverage Excellence, the following products received the Brass Ring Awards in these categories:
- Best Garment – Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind Cassette Player Shoulder Bag
- Best Hard Good Item – Halcyon Starcruiser Training Lightsaber Hilt
- Best Plush Item – Groot Scented Plush
- Best New Menu Item – Chocolate Mighty Thor’s Hammer at The Ganachery in Disney Springs