For the first time in three years, the Seattle Sounders Annual Business Meeting will have a live audience. It takes place tonight from 6pm to 8pm at the Sounders FC Center in Longacres (enjoy that name before a sponsor eventually joins).
In-person attendance was limited by a lottery, but all season ticket holders received an invitation to watch the event virtually. Virtual registrations are accepted up to one hour before the start of the event with an e-mail sent to all registered persons. If you are not interested in attending but would like to watch, the stream is attached above.
For those not watching live, the videos are available at soundersfc.com or visit Sounder at Heart for the highlights.
While Steve Kornacki is not required on the Big Board, one of the main agenda items will be the announcement of the GM vote. The Sounders are the only professional team in North America to allow season ticket holders to vote every four years on whether to keep the general manager. The vote requires 40% of all voting members, but if that threshold is reached, a 67% supermajority would result in the removal of the GM. Not coincidentally, Lagerwey’s contract expires at the end of this year, so the outcome of this vote may not be the definitive factor in his long-term status at the club.
Speakers at the AGM will be:
- Adrian Hanauer – Sounders FC majority owner
- Duane Nakamura – Representative of the Sounders Alliance Council
- Peter Tomozawa – Sounders FC Owner and Division President
- Garth Lagerway – General Manager and President of Soccer of Sounders FC
Also, for the first time, four breakout sessions will be held at the Annual Business Meeting. While only the Maya Mendoza-Extrom presentation will be streamed live, all four breakout sessions can be viewed at soundersfc.com after the event. These presentations are:
- Mendoza-Extrom – Sounders FC Chief Operating Officer discusses the World Cup and social impact
- Taylor Graham – Sounders FC Chief Marketing and Revenue Officer talks about the March to the 50th project
- Tom Riley – Sounders FC Chief Financial Officer talks about the Longacres Training Facility
- Henry Brauner – Sounders FC Vice President Player Development to speak about player development
The last 20 minutes of the meeting includes a Q&A session with all speakers. The Sounders have three options for submitting questions. When registering, there was an opportunity to submit questions. In addition, questions will be collected on site and a Twitter hashtag will be assigned during the presentation to submit questions online. Given the way 2022 ended, one can imagine that this year the questions may be more intense than ever.
Scott Chupack is a member of the Alliance Council.