From galactic star cruisers to Irish racehorses and everything in between, the awards recognize those who bring incredible experiences to life for people around the world
BURBANK, California., November 15, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — The Themed Entertainment Association (TEA) announced its 29thth annual Thea Award recipients in front of an international audience at the IAAPA Expo this week Orlando.
The prestigious TEA Thea Award is considered one of the greatest awards in the themed experience industry. The Thea Awards honor individuals, projects and technology in themed attractions and experiences around the world. This year, 20 prizewinners were honored for their innovative work.
“We are thrilled to announce this lineup of amazing people, attractions and experiences as this year’s Thea Awards recipients. We look forward to celebrating them – and joining together as an international community – next April for the annual Thea Awards Gala,” said TEA President of the International Board Chuck Fawcett.
The Thea Awards began life in 1994 and since then has honored hundreds of people and companies for notable achievements and contributions to the thematic entertainment industry. The awardees and their teams share their expertise in storytelling, design, business, logistics, architecture, construction, manufacturing and more.
This year’s Thea Award recipients include:
Buzz Prize Award (Recognition of a lifetime of outstanding achievement):
- Roland MackFounder and managing partner, Europa-Park
catalyst price (in recognition of individual contributions to the advancement of the industry):
- Suzanne Tubert, Creative Director, Disney Live Entertainment, Disneyland Parks & Resorts, The Walt Disney Company
- Chevy Humphrey, President and CEO, Museum of Science and Industry – Chicagoand Chairman of the Board of Directors of the American Alliance of Museums.
Classic award (in celebration of a guest experience that has stood the test of time):
- Disney’s Main Street Electrical Parade, Anaheim, CA – UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Thea Awards for Outstanding Achievement:
Note: A credits list for each Award for Outstanding Achievement will be published in the Official Thea Awards program.
- Attraction: Chasseurs de Tornades, futuroscope, France
- Attraction: Jurassic World adventureuniversal studios beijing, Beijing, China
- Attraction Limited Budget: Unterlandet, Liseberg, Gothenburg, Sweden
- Connected Immersion: ‘JUMP’ by Limitless Flight, Bluffdale, UtahUNITED STATES OF AMERICA
- Immersive Dining ExpertIlimited budget: absurdities vol 1, And so forth, Singapore
- Immersive live experience: Particle Ink: Speed of Darkness, Las Vegas, NevadaUNITED STATES OF AMERICA
- live event: How to Train Your Dragon: Untrainable, universal studios beijing, Beijing, China
- Science Center: Shanghai Astronomy Museum, Shanghai, China
- Limited museum budget: The Irish Racehorse Experience, Irish National Stud & Gardens Co.; Kildare, Ireland
- Historical Experience Limited Budget: QUAKE, earthquake center lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal
- Brand experience: Star Wars Galactic Star Cruiser, Walt Disney World, OrlandoFloridaUNITED STATES OF AMERICA
- Leisure Park: Universal Studios Beijing, Beijing, China
- Technology: Beaudry Interactive, Los Angeles, CaliforniaUNITED STATES OF AMERICA
TEA also announced its most prestigious award given to volunteers of the association. These winners will also be honored at the Thea Gala
Peter Chernack Distinguished Service Award:
- Kevin Murphyfor his years of service and support of the TEA, our EME Division and our global members.
- Peter Weisharfor his exceptional advancement of our thematic entertainment industry through education, program development and support of our TEA NextGen members.
“Our area is constantly changing. Honoring these award winners from around the world underscores their success in creating highly engaging visitor attractions and experiences outside of the home in the leisure and travel industry “Imaginations can only dream and all come true,” Fri Forjindam, Chair of Thea Committee. She continued: “We invite the industry to attend our big weekend next April at Disneyland Resort to officially recognize these leaders in our field at the TEA Annual Thea Awards Gala presented by Chimelong.”
TEA’s Annual Thea Awards Gala will take place April 15, 2023at 5.00 at Disneyland Resort Anaheim, California, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Tickets for the Gala and the TEA Annual Summit will be available on the TEA website TEAconnect.org in the coming weeks.
Stay up to date on TEA’s social media channels: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and youtube in the coming months leading up to the Awards Gala, when more behind-the-scenes details will be revealed. Experiences of the 2022 Thea Award Winners. Join the conversation and learn more about award winners and the upcoming Thea Awards in April 2023 by following and using the hashtag #TheaAwards.
TEA is the international non-profit association representing the world’s leading creators, developers, designers and producers of amazing places and experiences – worldwide. Its members bring specific expertise across a variety of disciplines to a field that is constantly evolving: the creation of successful, highly engaging visitor attractions and experiences outside the home in the leisure and travel sectors. These entertainment and educational projects include theme parks, water parks, museums, zoos, corporate visitor centers, casinos, restaurants, branded experiences, multimedia extravaganzas, retail spaces, resorts and hospitality, tourist attractions and more. TEA comprises a community of more than 1,700 member companies in 45 countries.
SOURCE Themed Entertainment Association