Shopping at Target, or tar jay, as some call it, is more than just a place to shop. It truly is an experience enjoyed by so many! From home decor to clothing and accessories, there is so much good style to admire. Also, the prices are usually cheaper than most department stores, which means we can just buy more! However, sometimes we need to make a return. Whether it was an impulse purchase, the item just didn’t work, or you’re shopping for someone else, Target has you covered with their exceptional return policy.
As long as you follow Target’s policies, returning is as easy as can be. We’ll go through all of them Target Return Policy guidelines.
Related: Target is launching a new rewards program, so now we’ll never leave the store
What is Target’s return policy?
First of all, it is important that the item to be returned is unopened and undamaged. You don’t want to try to return a Christmas tree that is used for the season and then no longer needed! Items that are opened, damaged or do not have a receipt may not be eligible for a refund or exchange.
Basic Returns Policy
Target’s basic return policy is that they accept most unopened items for return within 90 days of purchase for a full refund. They’ll need your receipt or they can look up your payment if you bought with a credit or debit card.
For items purchased online, the return period begins at the time of invoicing, ie when part of the order is shipped.
Electronics are an exception and come with a 30 day return policy.
It may also be possible to return opened items, but this is at the discretion of the Target employee. Don’t plan on this working for something of obvious utility.
Target Plus Partner Return Policy
The Target Plus partner return policy is pretty much the same as the basic return policy, but applies to items purchased through one of Target’s partners. A Target Plus Partner is a third-party company that sells and ships items directly to you through Target.com or the Target app. There are about 450 of these vendors.
These items must be returned to Target either in a store or by mail. Some items, such as B. Electronics, may have a shorter return window. The individual item descriptions contain the exact return conditions for this item.
Talk to RedCard members
When you shop with a Target RedCard, you get an additional 30 days to return your items. This means you will receive a full 120 days before the return deadline.
Related: Will Target be open on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day? All the details on Target’s 2022 holiday seasons
Incentive for targets
While Target already has a great returns policy, there’s one exception you need to know about. You’re probably thinking “here comes the fine print with the big ‘but’”, but don’t worry – there’s good news!
(scroll to read more)
You have a full year to return all Target branded items with a receipt. And with all the brands that Target owns, that means a big chunk of the entire store. There are currently almost 50 different Target-owned brands.
This means you can start Christmas shopping in January and still return an item before Christmas if it’s no longer a good choice!
What brands does Target own?
The following trademarks are owned by Target and apply to the one-year return policy.
- A new day – Women’s clothing and accessories
- Everything in motion – Active wear and sporting goods
- art class – trendy clothes for children from 4 to 12 years old
- Auden – Women’s underwear
- Ava & Vivi – Women’s clothing in large sizes
- Boots & Barkley – Pet accessories
- Bright room – home organization
- Bulleye’s Playground – Items to take away
- Casaluna – bed and bath
- Cat & Jack – Children’s and baby clothing
- cloud island – Children’s room decoration
- colsie – lingerie, loungewear and nightwear
- Embark – Camping equipment
- periwinkle -Household necessities
- favorite day – sweet and savory foods
- future collective – trendy clothes and accessories
- Good & collecting – healthy food options
- Goodfellow & Co. – Men’s clothing and accessories
- Stove & Hand with Magnolia – home accessories
- heyday – Electronics
- Hyde & EEK boutique – Halloween must-haves
- JoyLab – Women’s performance apparel
- Friendly – Cat and dog food
- KnoxRose – women’s clothes
- Kona Sol – Women’s swimwear
- Manufactured to design – Housewares
- Market pantry – food
- Mondo Llama – Arts and crafts
- More than magic – Tween accessories
- opal house – home decor
- open story – Premium baggage
- Original usage – Clothing for young men
- pillow fortress – Children’s home collection
- project 62 – modern home decor
- Space Essentials – Apartment or dorm essentials
- shadow & shore – Women’s swimwear
- Smart – inexpensive household items
- Smith & Hawken – Garden furniture and accessories
- Sonja Kaschuk – Cosmetics
- splash – party supplies
- stars above – nightwear
- Sun Squad – seasonal summer accessories
- threshold – home decor
- Universal thread – women’s clothes
- up up – Housewares
- Wild fable – Clothing for young women
- wonder shop – Christmas decoration
- cheers – Swimwear and basics for women
Related: The Best Parts of Target
Cat & Jack Branded Special Returns Policy and Guarantee
Target is so committed to their Cat & Jack brand that they also offer a one-year guarantee on their clothing. That means if the kids’ clothes don’t last a year, you can still return them for a full refund.
Even if the clothes have rips and tears, they are still returnable for the first year. The tricky part is keeping a receipt for a full year. It is possible that your purchase made with a card could be found electronically, but there are no guarantees.
Destination Registration Returns
If you are returning items received from your registration, simply log into your Target account, select your registration on the Registration page, go to “Offers & Benefits” on your registration home page, select “Start return”. Then select a shop. Per Target policy, the generated barcode must be used in the store you selected, on the date it was generated, and you can receive a Target gift card for the amount of the return.
Right of return without receipt from Target
If you don’t have your receipt, the next step would be to try to look up an order using the credit card used for payment. If you don’t have a credit card either, or it was a gift from someone else and you don’t have a gift receipt, you may be able to get an in-store return merchandise card. In order to receive the goods return card for a receipt-free return, you must also present your ID.
Target’s Holiday Returns Policy
The return policy for public holidays is largely the same as the regular return policy. However, there are a few exceptions.
Typically, electronic devices only have a 30-day return policy and Apple products must be returned within 15 days. However, Target has taken into account the fact that holiday electronics gifts may have been bought well before Christmas. The return window does not start at the point of purchase, but on December 26th – if the purchase was made on October 1st or later.
There are some gift items that cannot be returned, including:
- open or defective collectibles such as special edition Barbies or action figures
- personalized or digital download items
- open-ended video games, software, films, or games (which are only interchangeable with the same titles)
- gift cards
Next up: Target is already dropping deals ahead of Cyber Monday – Shop now for 50% off headphones and TVs